We all know what it’s like to have a disappointing and frustrating experience on a website, right?
Think back to a time when you’ve browsed a website to find information or purchase a product, but were confronted with broken links, a confusing menu, or an online checkout that didn’t work properly.
Chances are you left that website without making a sale, or finding the information you were after, and you vowed never to return. You may have been so frustrated with the experience you complained to your friends and family, or even gave the website a bad review.
So, knowing this, why is it that businesses often choose to invest minimal time and budget into their own website design?
Put yourself in your customer’s shoes and look at your own website. Can you:.
- Easily understand your business offering/value proposition?
- Find your product or service information quickly?
- Find a phone number, map, contact form easily?
- Read the content on your website without squinting?
- Use your website on your mobile?
If the answer to these questions is no, then chances are your customers feel exactly the same way.
Tips for a designing a high performing website
Investing in a visually engaging, user-driven website is crucial to making a great first impression. This means enabling your customers to find what need, quickly. It also means selling your brand promise as they journey through your website.
Excellent website design will feature all of the below:
- An understanding of the key goals of the business –
e-commerce, information, advertising.
- Drive users toward these goals with clear calls to action – buy, book now, contact, find out more.
- Structured menus ensuring easy navigation.
- Unique, high res, brand oriented imagery.
- Copy that’s about the customer, not just the ‘business’.
- A phone number, street address, and social media links in the footer so they appear on every page.
- Email subscribe form for prospects and customers.
- Google analytics to monitor and improve.
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
– Steve Jobs
Firefly Creative follow a robust design process to ensure our websites meet the goals of our clients . Check out our latest project for NZKGI, a contemporary, resource focussed website.